November 22nd saw the blu-ray release of the terribly underrated film, C.H.U.D., about a group of vicious monsters that live beneath the streets of New York and are now going above ground in search of food...US!
C.H.U.D. boasts a really solid, talented cast as well a cameo or two of well-known stars. One of which being the great John Goodman as a young horn-dog cop in a diner who meets a bloody off-screen fate. Daniel Stern's performance is pretty powerful. He's just a guy that runs a soup kitchen and cares for all the homeless that society has cast-off. John Heard is always awesome with his sarcasm, but he also has heart. The standout, however, is Christopher Curry as Bosch, who really put his heart and soul into the part of the anguished cop. You may be getting a B-movie, but you are also getting A-acting all around.
This excellent release from Arrow Video comes with both the theatrical and uncut versions, which differ by 8 minutes. The Uncut version was remastered in 2K and looks superb, especially in the darker sewer parts. Remember the days when you couldn't see what the hell was going on in the VHS or standard DVD versions? Well, those days are over! The dank, grimy sewers are now crystal clear. One part in particular that looks really good is the part where Daniel Stern stumbles upon the group of C.H.U.D.s surrounding the pool of toxic waste. It's colorful and vibrant, and just damn creepy. The synthy score is especially wonderful and tense in the uncompressed mono.
The special features are a little light, but the Special FX doc, 'Dweller Designs' is pretty killer. Also, I don't usually gush about the audio commentary, but this is one you'll want to watch again as the Daniel Stern, John Heard, and Christopher Curry commentary is insightful and very humorous. It's evident that they enjoyed working together on this film.
If you are any kind of horror fan, you should definitely grab C.H.U.D. here.
From Arrow Video:
THEY'RE NOT STAYING DOWN THERE, ANYMORE!
From the subterranean depths it crawls! Finally making its long-awaited debut on Blu-ray, director Douglas Cheek's cult '80s favorite C.H.U.D. is the ultimate underground movie experience.
In downtown Manhattan, a police captain's hunt for his missing wife leads to the discovery of a series of mysterious disappearances in the area. Extending his search into the tunnels and sewers below the city streets, it soon becomes clear that something monstrous is lurking in that subterranean world - and it won't stay there much longer...
Starring John Heard (Home Alone) and Christopher Curry (Starship Troopers) alongside an early appearance from John Goodman, C.H.U.D. has justifiably built up a huge cult following in the years since its release in 1984, with one of the most iconic creature designs of the period.
- Brand new restoration from original film elements
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Integral Cut from a new 2K film transfer
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Original Theatrical Cut [Limited Edition Exclusive]
- Original Uncompressed PCM Mono Audio / Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by director Douglas Cheek, writer Shepard Abbott, and actors John Heard, Daniel Stern and Christopher Curry
- A Dirty Look- an interview with production designer William Bilowit
- Dweller Designs - an interview with special make-up effects and creature creator John Caglione, Jr.
- Notes from Above Ground: The NYC Locations of C.H.U.D. - featurette hosted by journalist Michael Gingold and filmmaker Ted Geoghegan
- Brand new audio track featuring isolated score selections and an interview with composers Martin Cooper and David A. Hughes
- Behind-the-Scenes Gallery
- Extended Shower Scene
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dan Mumford
- Fully illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Michael Gingold